Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Uppercase Magazine: Issue #11










I am writing this post in retrospect almost a year later.... after the recent birth of my friend's first child....
I first met Maria Felix while teaching a silk screen printing class out of my studio at Harbourfront Centre. Looking back upon this three-year position (that has recently ended) I am amazed at all of the wonderful and lasting friendships and opportunities that I have had over the course of the past three years.  
Upon my first introduction with Maria, amongst an oddball group of students, the two of us hit it off immediately! The class was situated during an insane time in my life, while I was in the midst of frantically learning to work in ceramics for a rapidly approaching deadline, and preparing to travel to Australia for the opening of my work in the Love Lace exhibition at the Powerhouse Museum.

The first night of our class, Maria and I had chatted about art, ideas, and the letterpress workshop she had recently taken at Bookhou, and I decided to ask her for some feedback on a project I was currently working on...
Upon seeing my work, she was interested in writing an article on her blog about it and asked me if that would be something I was interested in.
Of course, I said!
Not long after our five week class ended, she had contacted me with the idea of pitching it as an article to Uppercase Magazine, and sure enough the editor was thrilled!
After much planning, we met up with a photographer, who by some unusual circumstance I found out I had already known for years... and all of the pieces began to fall into place.
We met at my house on a hot sunny morning in July and began rearranging the space into what would be my ideal studio, (if only i had the room for it!) before beginning the process of documenting the story ...
I just wanted to take this opportunity to say a big congratulations to Maria and her new little bundle of joy, and to thank her and Natasha Bardin for putting together such a lovely article, almost a year ago now.
Uppercase is a beautiful magazine, please feel free to flip through and check out the magazine, as well as the article beginning on page 82. I hope you enjoy!

















































No comments:

Post a Comment