Thursday, January 23, 2014

Christine Kim | Accumulation @ Articulations

Yesterday turned out to be quite the hectic day! I got most of my install done for the exhibition at Harbourfront on friday before heading out to the opening of my work in the Best of TOAE Award Winners Exhibition at First Canadian Place. Since I seem to be forsaking all of my school work lately in the name of art & design happenings, I decided I may as well head to the Junction afterwards to check out some more openings, including the Toronto Design Offsite Opening party at Smash.
It ended up being a bitterly cold evening outside but I was glad to see Dundas street hopping with eager design-festival goers. Between all of the commotion, I managed to pop in and photograph the lovely work of Christine Kim at Articulations. I was first introduced to her work was at last year's Artist Project, so it was nice to finally meet her! She also mentioned to me that she is taking over a room for the Gladstone's annual Come Up To My Room event, so be sure to check out her work there as well!


Opening: Christine Kim - Accumulation
Jan. 20- Feb 16th, 2013

Opening Reception - Wed. Jan 22nd 6-9pm
Artist Talk: Sat. Feb 15th, 1pm

Accumulation emerged out of Kim’s continued exploration and experimentation with cutting, bending, and folding paper. Using matte white paper, Kim has constructed light geometrical structures assembled together like cumulus clouds. She explores the relationship between light and shadow through intricately cut patterns and folds.  This is an investigation of what a line can do when it is folded, cut, curved, and gathered.
Christine Kim works primarily in illustration, cut paper and installation. She has exhibited in Toronto, Montreal, and presented Paper Orbs, an interactive installation for Nuit Blanche 2013, and collaborated with Vanathy Ganesharajah for Confessional, a paper installation for CUTMR 2014.











No comments:

Post a Comment